|Dr. Zubin Motafram||General||4||None||Any|
“ You don’t become a medical professional by learning Wellness Management; but you can be wise enough to know when you need one! ”
The course will be an amalgamation of Complementary and Alternative Medicine CAM and Wellness management.
The term complementary medicine is given to various sciences and/or products, used to complement or ‘used together with’ the mainstream medical treatment. Alternative medicine is the use of complementary sciences ‘instead of or in lieu of’ main stream medicine. Knowledge of CAM helps one to deal with many conditions that are encountered in our day to day life. In this module of complementary and alternative medicine, the student will be made to understand the different types of CAMs, which are broadly classified into three types.
- Mind and body interaction. This includes yoga, meditation, pranayam etc. to harmonize the mind, body and soul.
- Understanding diet and the diet need according to the lifestyle, gender, and age of a person, and the use of nutritional supplements in offsetting the deficiency. Knowing the adverse effects of nutritional supplement, substance abuse etc.
- The use of massage, acupressure, reflexology, light, etc. to ease physical pains, mental stress etc.
Even the mainstream medicine incorporates various CAMs to augment their treatment. E.g. includes the use of infrared lamp to reduce pain and swelling of a painful joint (colour therapy), use of calcium supplements to reduce the risk of osteoporosis, magnesium to treat depression, oxygenation of gangrenous limbs to help heal the lesions.
Wellness Management has become an essential component in the present work scenario. Understanding wellness management helps to reduces employee stress and improve health, thus increasing the productivity for the organization. Understanding wellness management helps the student to identify and understand various stresses and disease factors at work, home and in his daily life and to make decisions positively, to find and work a solution to his problem.
In this module the student will learn the art and science of a healthy lifestyle. Topics covered will include approach to wellness, being in charge, identifying obstacles in day to day life and how to overcome them, factors involved to stay healthy and happy, depression and boredom, managing midlife crisis, optimism- the key to staying healthy, sicknesses in ones’ head, dealing with interpersonal relationships-at home, at work and with friends, foods for the ‘feel good factor’, water of life and death, balanced diet, corporate and business stresses etc. One of the most important modules as more and more companies looks out for Wellness Managers.
This course aims to –
- Promote and strengthen the individual’s ability to perceive, analyse and respond to situations in a positive and optimistic manner, instead of a negative and pessimistic way.
- Make the student more health and fitness conscious than he is. To take charge of a situation and stop the blame game.
- Increase the ability to deal with the day to day problems at the physical, mental and emotional levels which can be achieved with a sound knowledge of the requirements of the mind and body.
The course is conducted mostly through interaction based lecture method, with regular class leads by the students, field trips, etc.
Students are expected to –
- Complete all required reading for each scheduled class as per the course outline,
- Actively participate in class activities and discussions, and
- Complete all evaluative processes for successful course completion!