|Mr. Ajit Abhyankar||Elective||4||None||Any|
Marxism has been one of the most powerful ideas that has influenced and shaped human history. This course deals with the analytical understanding of the various theories propounded by Karl Marx, which together form the philosophy known as Marxism. Starting from the historical background when capitalism took birth, the course moves on to the theoretical foundations of the philosophy, namely, Dialectical and Historical Materialism, leading to Marx’s critique of the capitalist political economy. This is followed by the theory of Imperialism and the application of Marxism in politics.
Students in this course will be able to –
- Demonstrate an understanding of the history of the rise of capitalism.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the theoretical framework of the Marxist philosophy.
- Read and understand the literary works of Karl Marx and other prominent philosophers who contributed to the framework.
The course is conducted mostly by the interaction based lecture method, where the study of various systems of Philosophy is employed to explain the concepts. Students are expected to write essays to demonstrate the analytical understanding of the theories taught.
Students are expected to –
- Complete all required reading for each scheduled class as per the course outline,
- Actively participate in class activities and discussions, and
- Complete all evaluative processes for successful course completion.