|Anita Patankar||Major/Minor||4||Business Studies Major/Minor||3|
This course will provide an Introduction to Management, its history and evolution, major thinkers who have contributed to its development, its nature and scope and present status. It will also cover forms of organizations, ranging from business, governmental organizations to multinational and global organizations and cover various types of organizational structure. Business Environment and Decision Making concepts will also feature in this course.
Students will be able to:
- Understand the foundational questions, ideas and debates that shaped the development of management thought, as well as the voices and perspectives not well represented as yet.
- Critically describe and evaluate the power of management systems in creating and running organizations in the business, government and non-governmental sectors.
- Compare and contrast between modern and traditional organizational structures
- Critique the differing ideas and thoughts on how managerial power is constructed and negotiated in organized human interaction
- Apply their knowledge to understanding cases of Indian and international organizations
- Apply their understanding to their everyday lives
- Increase their written and presentation skills
- Lectures and Guest lectures
- Readings followed by discussions
- Viewing of films
- Case studies
Students are expected to –
- Complete all required reading for each scheduled class as per the course outline,
- Actively participate in class activities and discussions, and
- Complete all evaluative processes for successful course completion!