|Ms. Sutapa Majumdar||Core||4||None||Any|
Diversity is an all-encompassing terminology which means understanding each individual as unique and recognizing individual differences. In other words, diversity is about understanding each other and moving beyond simple tolerance to embracing and celebrating the rich dimensions of diversity contained within each individual.
Diversity can be observed and experienced in everyday life situation along the dimensions of race, ethnicity, gender, culture, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, language, religious beliefs, political beliefs, or other ideologies. It is the exploration of these differences in a safe, positive, and nurturing environment to accept and respect its existence.
This course aims to –
- Inculcate in the students values and habits which will assist them to become productive and effective citizens making a positive difference in the lives of their families, communities, organizations and countries.
- Enable student to develop an alternate gaze which would accommodate and celebrate difference in a positive way, appreciate the richness of the society and contribute to knowledge building.
The course is conducted mostly through interaction based lecture method, with regular class leads by the students. The students also conduct case studies, surveys and research.
Students are expected to –
- Complete all required reading for each scheduled class as per the course outline,
- Actively participate in class activities and discussions, and
- Complete all evaluative processes for successful course completion!