|Vivek Nemane||Major/Minor||4||Pol. Sci. Major/Minor||4|
The world has become a global village. As a result, the issues today, whether they are political, social, economic or legal, are no longer national issues, but international concerns. With actors in the international scene, who are not only sovereign nation states, but organizations, which are supranational and transnational in nature, it is very important to understand the laws that govern their relations, demarcate their boundaries and settle their disputes.
The United Nations plays an almost omnipotent role in resolving disputes in the contemporary world order. How this takes place, what is the role of the International Court of Justice – are answers that all students of International Relations seek.
- This paper will enable students to discover the basics of world governance.
- The content of public international law and private international law can no longer be demarcated clearly. As global citizens, the students will discover how International Law delineates law in times of war and peace, on land and sea
- They will learn to interpret the nuances of International Law, and will therefore be better able to comprehend contemporary politics, especially in relation to environment, trade, diplomacy, extradition etc.
- It will also help the students acquire a clear understanding of the role that the United Nations and its various agencies play in World Politics through its initiatives – be they by way of peace-keeping forces, settlement of disputes or humanitarian intervention.
- Interactive class discussions on every concept. Small class size
- Use of articles, news clipping, videos, etc. to further explain concept i.e. enable a practical understanding of the concept.
- Evaluations are conducted throughout the semester to ensure that the students’ learning outcomes are appraised.
Students are expected to –
- Complete all required reading for each scheduled class as per the course outline,
- Actively participate in class activities and discussions, and
- Complete all evaluative processes for successful course completion!